Welcome to the
EARLY YEARS FOUNDATION STAGE
It is every child’s right to grow up safe, healthy, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and with economic
well-being. The overarching aim of the EYFS is to help young children achieve these five outcomes.
We will provide a broad and balanced curriculum that will enable each child to develop personally, socially, emotionally, spiritually, physically, creatively and intellectually to their full potential. Each child is valued as an individual and teaching and learning is based on the understanding that children develop at different rates.
At St Mary and St Benedict Catholic Primary School, we aim to:
· Provide a safe, challenging, stimulating, caring and sharing environment which is sensitive to the needs of the child, including those with additional needs.
· Provide a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations for further learning and development in Key Stage 1 and beyond.
· Use and value what each child can do, assessing their individual needs and helping each child to progress.
· Enable choice and decision making, fostering independence and self-confidence.
· Work in partnership with parents and carers and value their contributions ensuring that all children, irrespective of ethnicity, culture, religion, home language, family background, learning difficulties, disabilities, gender or ability, achieve their full potential.
· Provide opportunities whereby children experience a challenging and enjoyable programme of learning and development.
Learning and Development
Learning and development is categorised into three prime areas of learning:
· Communication and language
· Physical development
· Personal, social and emotional development
Additionally there are four specific areas of learning:
· Understanding the world
· Expressive arts and design
Achievement of these prime and specific areas of learning is by:
· Playing and exploring
· Active learning
· Creating and thinking critically
We very much welcome the contribution of carers and parent so please let us know if you have any comments, queries or ideas.
To our wonderful Early Years Children,
Wow! Its almost impossible to believe that this is the final week of our school year! We are immensely proud of all of you and everything you have achieved both in school and at home. Well done!
If you are Reception Class and are able to come along and meet your new teachers today and tomorrow (just check your text message from school) we look forward to seeing you. If not we are looking forward to seeing you all back at school in September for another fantastic year of learning.
We have put some fun activities up on our learning grid this week as a celebration! Also please do watch the Powerpoint above which has all of our best bits from the past year. A huge thank you to Miss McKenna for compiling it, it certainly brings a tear to the eye.
Congratulations to our star workers this week, Brooke and Blake! Fantastic efforts with your learning both at home and at school, well done!
Remember to click on the star which says "Hello from your Teachers" at the top of this page. We put some photos on there so you can see our smiling faces, we certainly haven't forgotten yours but you could send us some too with your own messages on.
Parents, we understand that individual families have very different circumstances. The pandemic has impacted on us all in so many different ways. Please keep in touch with us over the holidays via email, we will try to answer any of your questions and help in any way we can.
It would also be lovely if you could email us with photos of anything your child has been doing which you would like to celebrate. Please use the following email address:
Stay safe and stay in touch,
The Early Years Team
Here's a fun activity to try, you can do it at home or when you are out on a walk. Remember to email Mrs Doherty with your findings and good luck!
Chester Zoo Live!
Watch the zoo keepers feeding all your favourite zoo animals. Draw a picture of your favourite animal and email to Mrs Doherty. We know you love drawing, especially animals!
We're going on a Bear Hunt!
Enjoy singing along to one of our favourite songs. Put one of your teddies in your window and when you're out on your walk see if you can spot others. How many can you spot?
Snuggle up with your favourite toy and listen to this story. We hope you enjoy it.
Read Write Inc.
As a school, we recognise the importance of effective phonics teaching and use the Read Write Inc. programme in order to deliver this.
Please click on the link below, which will take you to some helpful information for parents. The videos are particularly good for you to see the programme in action and maybe brush up on your own pronunciation of letter sounds. Of course though, videos will not answer your individual questions so please come and talk to the EYFS staff who are more than happy to help!