To our wonderful Early Years Families,
How are you all? We hope you are staying safe at home. Thank you to all the families who logged in to our Celebration Assembly on Zoom on Friday morning. It was lovely to see you all and how hard you had been working at home! Please join us again this Friday.
You should all have your work packs for the next three weeks by now and we hope you enjoy the activities.
This week we are expanding the sessions we are delivering on Zoom, please check the timetable above for all the relevant details. We hope you enjoy both the live and recorded sessions and we welcome any feedback you may have.
We understand that each family will have its own set of unique circumstances to cope with so please don’t feel under pressure to complete every activity on the grid. This is a guide for you to use.
Oxford Owl is a website that you can use to access free ebooks and other resources. Please find the log in details for that on this page too!
We would also encourage you to log on to your Tapestry account (www.tapestryjournal.com) and upload any work you do with your child at home. We love to share your child’s achievements. Please keep us updated with how you are finding the activities. You can contact us via your Tapestry account or email
firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback or questions. Please let us know if you are unable to log in to your Tapestry account for any reason and we will help. Our aim is to help you to help your child at home so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Twitter is another way we keep in touch with you so please follow us at @StMaryStBen.
We hope that you find this information useful but we cannot stress enough that we are here in school to support you and your family. Please contact us if you need any help at all.
Stay safe and stay in touch,
The Early Years Team
Welcome to the
EARLY YEARS FOUNDATION STAGE
It is every child’s right to grow up safe, healthy, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and with economic
well-being. The overarching aim of the EYFS is to help young children achieve these five outcomes.
We will provide a broad and balanced curriculum that will enable each child to develop personally, socially, emotionally, spiritually, physically, creatively and intellectually to their full potential. Each child is valued as an individual and teaching and learning is based on the understanding that children develop at different rates.
At St Mary and St Benedict Catholic Primary School, we aim to:
· Provide a safe, challenging, stimulating, caring and sharing environment which is sensitive to the needs of the child, including those with additional needs.
· Provide a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations for further learning and development in Key Stage 1 and beyond.
· Use and value what each child can do, assessing their individual needs and helping each child to progress.
· Enable choice and decision making, fostering independence and self-confidence.
· Work in partnership with parents and carers and value their contributions ensuring that all children, irrespective of ethnicity, culture, religion, home language, family background, learning difficulties, disabilities, gender or ability, achieve their full potential.
· Provide opportunities whereby children experience a challenging and enjoyable programme of learning and development.
Learning and Development
Learning and development is categorised into three prime areas of learning:
· Communication and language
· Physical development
· Personal, social and emotional development
Additionally there are four specific areas of learning:
· Understanding the world
· Expressive arts and design
Achievement of these prime and specific areas of learning is by:
· Playing and exploring
· Active learning
· Creating and thinking critically
We very much welcome the contribution of carers and parent so please let us know if you have any comments, queries or ideas.
Here's a fun activity to try, you can do it at home or when you are out on a walk. Remember to email Mrs Doherty with your findings and good luck!
Chester Zoo Live!
Watch the zoo keepers feeding all your favourite zoo animals. Draw a picture of your favourite animal and email to Mrs Doherty. We know you love drawing, especially animals!
We're going on a Bear Hunt!
Enjoy singing along to one of our favourite songs. Put one of your teddies in your window and when you're out on your walk see if you can spot others. How many can you spot?
Snuggle up with your favourite toy and listen to this story. We hope you enjoy it.
Read Write Inc.
As a school, we recognise the importance of effective phonics teaching and use the Read Write Inc. programme in order to deliver this.
Please click on the link below, which will take you to some helpful information for parents. The videos are particularly good for you to see the programme in action and maybe brush up on your own pronunciation of letter sounds. Of course though, videos will not answer your individual questions so please come and talk to the EYFS staff who are more than happy to help!