Mathematics at St Mary and St Benedict
Mathematics is a life skill. It is an essential element of communication, widely used in society, both in everyday situations and in the world of work.
Mathematics teaching in our school has at its core the following seven principles:
- To inspire enjoyment of maths
- To assist in developing children’s conceptual understanding of maths
- To help raise levels of attainment for every child
- To provide a rigorous and cohesive scope and sequence of the primary maths curriculum
- To promote the most effective pedagogical methods in the teaching of mathematics
- To offer manageable strategies for effective diagnostic, formative and summative assessment, to inform planning
- To strengthen the home/school link.